Sunday, June 24, 2012

Songs For A Movie That Has None - Or Doesn't Exist

So, I had a plan to write a post every week, and had one planned early for last week.  It was an in-depth examination of one of my favorite movies, Clue, maybe specifically at the character of Mister Green and if he is a negative depiction of a homosexual (except he isn't gay in the third and supposedly real ending but - well, I'll get to that next week).  Anyway, I lost my Clue DVD for the week and never got around to watching it with the blog post in mind.  Hopefully next week, but here's this weekend's post.  Oh, and I found the Clue DVD in the Venture Bros. DVD box so - that's a relief.

Obviously a lot of factors contribute to making a film good/memorable/worth watching/etc., and while I don't think I'd say that the soundtrack is an oft-overlooked feature (I really just wanted to say oft-overlooked), it's something that I don't think gets as much credit as it deserves.  It's like the bass guitar.  Or brass section.

Seriously: it's a scientific fact.  Brass makes every song better.

Good moments in a movie (or TV show for that matter) can be turned into amazing moments all because of a well-chosen song.  Some examples?  Well, that all depends on what I can link from YouTube.  Let's go look.

Oh, and before I start, I'm not a music person.  When music people talk about music, they use big scary words like "ostinato" or "recitative" or "verse," and frankly, I think they sound pretentious when they drop those words so casually.  I don't know those words and frankly don't care.  So, when I describe the music, I'm going to use the incorrect terms.  Fair warning.

Okay, there's this.

Granted, this is music that is actually in the scene - and I used to think that was called practical music, a la practical lighting, but I can't find the term anywhere so did I coin it? - so while it does punctuate and underline like music on screen is supposed to, it also takes a far more active role in the actual events being depicted.  I don't know if that actually makes a difference, but it seems important to note.

Anyway, what a perfect song to choose.  From slow to fast, creating that moment you probably see coming and are dreading, when Sam will no longer be able to slow dance (also known as easy dancing) and must try his ha- er, feet (heh) as fast dancing (also known as easy to fuck up dancing).  All goes well, but the tempo-beat-ka-thingy changes at just the right moment, creating a few seconds of tension that immediately dissolve with relief.

The song makes the scene.  Literally, in this case - which feels like cheating.  I'm still not sure.

Really, it's called practical music, right?  I hope so.  I hope I'm not an idiot.

A good use of a Styx song (who thought THAT possible!?  Actually, that was a fake joke, I really have no opinion on Styx).  In fact, Freaks and Geeks - oh, that was the show you just watched a scene of.  Didn't know that?  Then you need to go get the DVDs and watch the series now.  I'll wait.   Freaks and Geeks has two iconic Styx moments.  How wonderfully absurd.

Here's another expert use of a song.   Be warned: it's one of those recording the TV clips on YouTube. It's the only one I could find.

Granted, more practical music.  And almost any song could work here, so a tad interchangeable.  I myself did the same thing to "Badlands" the other day and hurt my throat.  But, still, how wonderful is this moment from Louie - throughout the rest of the show, there's a lot of anger and disgust at the world, but this is one of those moments where Louie is just thrilled about something.  He's having an amazing time.  Also, it is a good song choice because of its deviously placed "fuck."  Seriously: who knew you could say 'fuck' in a song in - oh, 1978.  Thought it was a tad older than that.  Still, when I think of The Who, I don't think about it being inappropriate for regular ol' TV.  Then again - eh, I won't get into it.  We shouldn't be so prudish about our "foul" language is all.  Though we should also be smart in how we use it.  Look at Julia Louis Dreyfuss.  She knows how to swear.

One more.  Okay - this one's in two parts, and they cut right when it turns the scene awesome.  So watch THIS first, then IMMEDIATELY watch the next one.

I'm just going to let that one speak for itself.  It's not practical - well, it might be playing on Pete White's iPod, but during Brock's scene, it's not practical.  And, yeah, it's a tad like that first clip in that the temporal-music-speedometer changes at a well timed moment, so I guess my variety's lacking, but - I mean, this scene would not have the weight without this perfect song playing.

There are a ton more examples (I'm not even to the main point of this post, by the way): the obligatorily referenced contrast of "Stuck In The Middle With You" and ear-separation in Reservoir Dogs, the scene where they're boarding the train in slow motion at the end of The Darjeeling Limited, the repeated "Sh-Boom" in Clue.  All I'm saying is that having a scene that needs a song, and finding that just-right song is something I really appreciate in TV and movies - when done right.

Want a bad example?  Want an example of what not to do?  Go watch any preview.  Literally any preview.  I hate those songs.  I get it - the cliched choices are shorthand for established bits of communication about the film.  Like how sepia-tone automatically tells someone that a scene is old-timey or a flash back.  It still annoys me.  Previews.  Not sepia-tone.

Huh - all my linked examples were TV shows and glossed over examples films.  Weird.

Anyway, so, yeah, finding that right song for a scene you've already shot.  That's a key element of movies.

Naturally, I have the exact opposite happen to me.

I listen to songs, and I come up with scenes.  I have no idea what these scenes are contextually.  I don't know what movie they'd be from.  I have no idea who the characters are.  But these scenes occur to me and the music is right because - well, it came first.  Here's a list of some I've thought of.  I'll link where I can, so you can hear the song if you don't know it.  And yes, these scenes will be somewhat stock, scenes you may have seen (and maybe some of the songs have been used before too), but so far as I know, the combination of these songs and stock scenes hasn't been done yet (and lemme know if it has), and I want to see it happen.

Incidentally, you may notice the same handful of bands or albums.  I lost a lot of my music when I lost my first laptop.  My CDs were scratched.  I started over.  I buy one album a month (except for the last six months) and try to make it something I haven't owned before.  And yes, I buy albums.  I do not believe in downloading individual songs.  Yes, maybe all I want is one song ("Home"), but I will download an entire album to get it.  The album as a concept is something that we're losing, or have lost in some cases.  I want it back.

Here we go, guys.  Here we go.

"I'm So Bored With The U.S.A." - The Clash, The Clash

I see this going to a frantic "packing for a foreign vacation" scene/montage.  Not frantic like the person's in trouble.  Frantic like it's a spur of the moment decision and they just want to go before they change their minds.  Listen to how that song starts.  It's like an idea popping into your head.  One that's too flighty, maybe a little abrupt, but you're gonna roll with it, damnit.

"Wishing Song" - The Airborne Toxic Event, Muppets: The Green Album

Ok, that's a link to a sampler on YouTube.  So just click the screen and it'll play you a clip of the song.  Or go buy the album.  It's good.  Even though it sounds different, here's the original version.  And damn, I just watched it for the first time, and the context made it even sadder.  Anyway, I see this working to a scene like that one up above with Brock running.  Someone's running to stop something or stop someone from leaving or see someone as soon as possible.  They probably start running suddenly after some stunning self-introspection event, like a realization that this woman matters and NOT the big promotion Johnson's been hinting at all month.  Maybe the first half of the song is before they start running - cause you know once they start running, then it's all going to be okay.  Of course, it'd probably fuck with audiences to not have it all be okay.  And that'd be hilarious.  Anyway, the person starts running when that second beat kicks in after the first verse.  (Shit, I used the words)

"Cut-Out Witch" - Guided by Voices, Under The Bushes Under The Stars

Song has a very slow start, then picks up just a little bit at a time.  I see a chase scene set to this.  Like when it's just starting, maybe the person getting chased just kind of notices someone who might be following them.  Something looks a little fishy.  Every time that set of notes plays, they see someone else also looking fishy.  Once the song really gets going, characters break into a chase.  I know, a lot of running for these songs, but I guess songs work well with running because there's already a beat being set.  But this song sounds paranoid and kind of uncertain.  It's the raised eyebrow that someone has when they're thinking stuff like "Who is that guy walking at me" or "I don't think the nazis heard me say 'thank you' in english."  This song has me looking over my shoulder.

"Artboat" - Guided by Voices, Devil Between My Toes (I can't find this one on YouTube - listen to a sample on iTunes . . . or here.)


Okay, really, GBV just needs to be in more movies.  And be more recognized.  This song gets a little nuts after a bit, but the beginning sounds so bleak.  I picture a post-apocalyptic setting being established during it.  Empty streets.  Burned out buildings.  Chunks of concrete in the road.  Nobody at all around.  No signs of life.  You know - the good parts of I Am Legend.

"Do It Again" - Steely Dan, Can't Buy A Thrill

Nothing too specific here.  Not so much a scene, but this ought to open a sequel some day.  It would play over the opening credits.  That opening beat says it's a leisurely stroll of a song because we already know these characters.  We're here to join them again.  They're practically our friends.  Whenever an aspect of the song joins in, that's a credit appearing on screen.  What's being shown?  I don't know - landscape or a city or something.  The setting.  It's a relaxing, familiar song for a relaxing, familiar movie.  On a side note, if I had a sitcom, "Any World" would be the theme song.

"Drink' Blunts" - mc chris, mc chris Goes To Hell


You know those establishing shots of a crazy party where everyone's acting immature, boozing, smoking, doing goofy things?  This would work for one of those.  It's got a back-and-forth feel to it.  Like dancing maybe? (I thought I made it clear I don't dance).  I realize that it's probably meant to be satirical.  Mocking songs that are about drinking or partying, like that's a sufficient subject, like those stories that start with "Dude, I was so drunk . . . "  Not that parties aren't good locations for stories, or even a good concept to talk about, but simply talking about drinking for its own sake is . . . silly.  You're not in college anymore.

"Donna Everywhere" - Too Much Joy, Mutiny (The second song on that list)

This would go over an establishing shot of driving, where the song is real prominent, then when we cut to the goings-on in the car, it's quieter and on the radio.  Background music.  Practical, too.  I think they do that kind of thing a lot in Dumb and Dumber.  Obviously, this would be a road movie too.  There's such a "everything's nice in the world" feel to the music (listen to the lyrics to find out why) that it would fit with driving.  Driving with a purpose, where the journey's the point, not the destination (but that better be good too - if I get to Kennywood again and am told it's too busy, we're going home, like what happened to me when I was eight, I'll be pissed).

"Garageland" - The Clash, The Clash OR "A Salty Salute" - Guided By Voices, Alien Lanes.

Either one of these would end my movie.  The first is a movie that ends abruptly.  The second is one that has that last lingering shot as we pull up or something, telling the audience things are wrapped up and cue the credits.  There'd be goofy credits to the first song, zipping around, cause that movie was light-hearted, and you wouldn't be too sure what emotions you were feeling for the movie that ends with the second song.  Are you happy?  Are you sad?  Was it ambiguous?  It's not depressing or something.  Just kind of like, "Oh - that's the end.  Well, did Jack Nicholson get his orders or not? (I'd link to the end of the movie I'm referencing, but I can't find it - and the best scene of the movie is inexplicably and inexpertly censored on youtube, so it's hardly worth it.  It's The Last Detail, go watch it.)

So, that's all I got for now.  To conclude, if you have not watched Freaks and Geeks, Louie, The Venture Bros. or The Last Detail, go do so now.  For examples of movies that make wise decisions generally with their songs, see Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Dumb and Dumber, Wet, Hot, American Summer, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas and . . . I mean, really, you should have already seen these.  I'd write up a comprehensive list, but I don't think there's space.  Tell you what - anytime you hear of a movie or TV show, just ask me, should you watch it.  Yes or no.  Arrested Development: yes.  Glee: no.  The Grey: yes.  Men In Black III: No.

And because I've decided I like ripping off the moment of zen from The Daily Show, here's a clip - I mean, I'll steal the idea of a short video you should watch, but I won't steal the phrase.

This is by far one of my favorite scenes ever from The Venture Bros.

No comments: